TWD: Pizza Rustica

Well Tuesday’s almost over and I’m just barely getting to my Tuesdays with Dorie, I’m so sorry to being late on posting this, we still friends??

Let’s begin, shall we….

On my journey to become a healthier me, I have given up on red meat, pork, and chicken (and dang, giving up chicken has been hard), so when I discovered that I would get to host this weeks Tuesdays With Dorie, I was beyond thrilled, but then realized it was a pizza that I would be hosting, and while I knew this I didn’t think too much about what most pizza have on them for toppings, until I was “the chosen one”….

So I decided I would do half and half, as Rene still eats meat, I don’t want to make a full on veggie pizza, because he certainly wouldn’t touch it.  And I have to add a sauce, because I’m putting too much into this for Rene not to eat it, and he loves a saucy pizza!!

Here’s what you’ll need:

For the Dough

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/3 cup sugar

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

1 stick (4 oz) cold, unsalted butter or 4 oz cold lard, cut into 8 pieces

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

What you’ll do:

~Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into the work bowl of a food processor, fitted with the metal blade; pulse a few times just to mix the ingredients.

~Add the butter and plus 15 to 20 times, or just until the mixture resembles fine cornmeal.  With the machine running, add the eggs and process until the dough forms a ball on the blade, about a minute or so.

~Remove the dough from the processor and knead it, folding it over on itself until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.  Wrap the dough in plastic and set aside. (If you’re not going to make the pizza now, warp the dough well and refrigerate for up to 3 days)

What you’ll need for the filling:

1 pound whole milk ricotta

3 large eggs

1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese

1/4 pound mozzarella cheese, grated

1/4 pound thinly sliced prosciutto, shredded

2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

1/4 freshly ground black pepper

What you’ll do:

~Scoop the ricotta into a medium bowl and stir until smooth with a rubber spatula.  Add the rest of the filling ingredients one at a time, stirring until each addition is incorporated and the mixture is well blended.

~Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 350, butter a 9-inch glass pie plate. (If you don’t have a glass pie plate, use, metal, but increase the oven temp to 375)

Rolling the Dough:

~Divide the dough into two piece, one twice as large as the other.  Working with the larger pieces, knead into a disk and roll it out on a lightly floured work surface into a 12-inch circle.

Lining the Pie Plate:

~ Transfer the dough to the pie plate and press gently against the bottom and up the sides of the plate.  Don’t worry if the dough tears, just press it back together.  Use the dull side of a knife to trim the excess dough even with the rim.

Filling the Pie:

~Scrape the filling into the pic shell and smooth the top.

Forming the Lattice:

~Knead and shape the remaining piece of dough into a block and roll into a 9-inch square.  Using a pizza or pastry cutter or a thin charm knife, cut the dough into 12 even strips.  To form the lattice, lay 6 of the strips across the pie at 1 1/4-inch intervals, then crisscross the strips, paling the remaining strips diagonal across the first.  Trim the ends of the strips even with the edge of the pan and pinch to seal.

Baking the Pie:

~ Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the crust in golden and the filling is firm and slightly puffed.  Transfer the pie to a rack to cool completely before serving.

Storing:

~Leftovers can be kept well covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Variations:

I added sauce, meat (pepperoni, sausage, and ham) for Rene, and tomatoes, onion, and green peppers for myself….

I also wanted to use fresh mozzarella cheese, so I just sliced some up, and placed it right on top of the filling and toppings before the lattice, with a sprinkle of oregano as well.

I have to say this came out pretty well,  I think with my variations I was a little off the beaten’ path, but that’s what I like about cooking, you find a recipe you like, add a few ingredient you feel will make it more pleasing to your palate.

I told Rene I would wait for him to get off work before I cut into this delicious Pizza Rustica, so I will add pictures of the inside as soon as he walks through the door….I promise!!

Go visit Emily at as she was the co-host this week, and also check out what all the other Tuesday’s with Dorie participants were up to as well, .

Enjoy…

P.S.  Thank you for baking this week with me!!  :-)

-Raelynn

About Raelynn

Born in small town South Dakota, raised in Sin City Las Vegas, now living in Mile High Denver...life is my adventure and I'm sharing it here, one project, one recipe, one day at a time.
This entry was posted in All-Amerian, April 2012, Cheese, Italian Food, Pizza, Tuesdays With Dorie and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to TWD: Pizza Rustica

1. Pingback:

2. says:

your pizza rustica looks great! I wasn’t brave enough to adapt the recipe to my taste, but I now wish I had! Thanks for hosting this week :)

3. says:

It’s great to make something your own! Looking forward to seeing the coming photos. Thanks for hosting! Friend. :)

4. says:

Thanks for hosting

~ Carmen

5. says:

Your pizza puffed up nicely. I was wondering how this would taste with a sauce because I have never seen a pizza recipe without a tomato or sauce in it. I hope he liked it. How wonderful that you made half and half. Thank you for hosting this week!

6. Pingback:

7. Pingback:

8. Pingback:

9. says:

Awesome job of adapting the recipe! I think yours sounds better than the original.

10. says:

This looks and sounds so delicious. This would go over well in my house.

11. says:

Thanks for hosting! Yours looks and sounds great!

12. says:

Thanks for hosting! It looks and sounds delicious.

13. Pingback:

14. says:

thanks for hosting! your variations were nice and i think i may like it better with sauce :)

15. Pingback:

16. says:

I like your idea of slicing fresh mozzarella on top to make it more cheesy. I agree with you about recipes. Cooking is more creative than many people think (especially non-cooks). They are just a starting point to make your own. Thanks for hosting.

17. says:

Thank you for choosing an amazing recipe..I love it! Yours turned out so nice!

18. says:

Thank you for hosting us! I omitted proscuitto and added more mozzarella plus a ribbon of spinach-basil pesto. Will definitely make this again.

19. says:

We loved this recipe and I will be making it again! Thanks for hosting. :)

20. Pingback:

21. says:

Thanks for hosting! Your pizza rustica looks really pretty! I like your variations, too.

22. says:

Thanks for hosting! Your pie puffed up beautifully. I like the idea of half-and-half. It’s so fun to see all of the variations people came up with.

23. says:

LOL! Well you hosted beautifully and really, I think that adding sauce is a brilliant idea – your the second that I have read to have done it. It gives me more ideas to beef up my fillings for the next time I make it. Mine was a bit bland but I have ideas to put in some crunchy stuff, more salty stuff and other savory bits :)

24. says:

I love that youre the second person to have added sauce to theirs! :) and you hosted beautifully! Cant wait to see how you do with the lemon loaf, I’m sure this tasted great for you! I plan to change the fillings a bit and that way I hope to like it more, or love it even! :)

25. says:

half & half…good idea..something for everyone. this is a great recipe to play around with. thanks for being a host!!

26. says:

Looks great, I’m looking forward to making tomorrow, better late then never as they save

27. heathersbytes says:

It looks great, and I love your adaptations!

(I also have to add re: your bio, that my husband lived in small town SD for years, and we now live in Sin City, but no Denver for us yet :D )

• says:

Heather…that’s too funny, I LOVE LOVE LOVE SD, I’m from Huron, its my favorite place ever, there is nothing like South Dakota (in my eyes at least) I liked Vegas, but we’re glad to be in Denver, but excited to see where this takes us. The US is our oyster!

28. says:

Raelynn, I love it that you say, “Dang.” I llove that word! Also like your Pizza Rustica. We stayed with the recipe and loved it, but hardly ever make anything the same way twice. Good ideas from so many folks. Thanks for hosting.

29. says:

Thanks for hosting, you pizza rustica turned out nice!

Ulrike @

30. says:

It looks great, thanks for hosting! I just read the comment above, and wanted to say that we lived in South Dakota for 5 years and loved it.

31. says:

Thanks for hosting this week.
    Looks like you made some great substitutions to make this fit for you!

32. Pingback: